Sunday, September 10, 2006

Attempt at Clarification

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the recent Billy Graham controversy, in which he was accused of promoting religious universalism. I receive a monthly newsletter from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association; in the September edition, he addresses people's concerns:

Several people have written and asked me two personal questions. First: Do I believe in the inspiration of scripture? And I say a resounding YES! "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

The second is: Do I believe that Jesus and His death on the cross, and resurrection, are the only way of personal salvation? Again, I say YES! I have traveled all over the world proclaiming this message and have not changed my convictions.

This is heartening news, and I hope he means what he says. After his making this supplement, I see only two possible explanations: either he was misrepresented or misunderstood (perhaps the latter was even his own fault), or he's guilty, and is now backpedaling and lying. I hope it's the former, and without further access to information discrediting him, I'll take him at his word.

No comments: