Wednesday, January 25, 2006

George Washington: Diest or Christian?

George Washington served as a chaplain for the Defense Force of the Commonwealth of Virginia, in which he was a colonel. He took this task upon himself because he had no luck finding anyone else for the job. His diary attests to his regular church attendance. He prayed often, though usually alone and away from the prying eyes of others. He served as a church elder. He was raised in a devout Episcopalian home.

I'll let him speak for himself.

Excerpts from his diary:

O most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ my merciful and loving father, I acknowledge and confess my guilt. . .

I humbly beseech thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins for the sake of thy dear Son, my only Saviour, Jesus Christ, who came not to call the righteous, but sinners unto repentance. Thou gavest thy Son to die for me.

The idea that he was a deist or irreligious is simply a fabrication of the revisionist, secular elements in our culture. It is made-up out of whole cloth.

No comments: