Thursday, June 2, 2005

A Poem

After that last post, I thought I'd offer something somewhat more uplifting. Here's a poem I wrote a couple of years ago. I hope y'all enjoy it:


Mary's Pledge


Hush, now, my darling, rest in sleep,
until the morning gleams.
Lay your head on my gladdened breast.
Find solace in your dreams.
Our Maker's plans and hopes for us
lie bundled in your form--
the quenching of our spirits' thirst,
the calming of life's storm.
Please know that I will keep the charge
God gave me in my youth--
to help you grow in righteousness
and watch you live His truth.
So all this heart I give to you,
my balm to soothe your strife,
milk for your sustenance,
my every breath, my life.
I rub your little head, so soft
and rock you with my songs.
No matter how our roads diverge,
with you my soul belongs.
Let me now wipe your tear-streaked eyes.
Oh, may my love suffice!
For someday you shall dry mine, too,
at home, in Paradise.

No comments: