Saturday, December 4, 2004

Made in His Image

I accept the biblical statement that humans are created in God's image. But when I look around and see the evil, chaos, and destruction wrought by Man, I ask myself: What characteristics do we have that define us as beings "in His image?"

First, let me say that I don't believe we ever can know fully what this means. We simply understand too little about God. That said, though, here are some areas in which we are similar--though badly flawed representations of Him:

1. We have the ability to love.

2. We recognize and admire beauty (I elaborated upon this in a previous post).

3. We have advanced thinking and reasoning abilities.

4. We communicate with others, and have fellowship with them.

5. We are artistic and creative--though our creations are not in the same league with God's. Nor are they fashioned through similar means.

6. It is possible for us to exhibit selflessness.

7. We understand loyalty.

8. Before the Fall, we were dubbed "good" by God. Even in our decayed and accursed state, we still can find goodness within ourselves, with His aid.

9. We have brilliant imaginations.

10. We welcome and appreciate the affections of others.

11. We have free will.


I may add to this list, if other characteristics cross my mind. But for now, these will do.

No comments: