Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Election Day Stream of Consciousness

I hope everyone voted his/her/its conscience, today. Of course, voting is only useful if you have a clue about the candidates, the issues, and the world you live in. I've known quite a few people who are so ignorant of all three that I strongly suspect that they are extraterrestrials.

***

Don't the "MTV rock the vote" commercials annoy you? Every time I see one, my fists clench and my teeth grit, grinding against each other like a liberal's at an NRA meeting. These ads offer no perspective on why one should vote. Rather, they bludgeon you with their unsubtle message: "Vote! Vote, you stupid sheep! Queue up and wait your turn! No matter who you choose, it can't be a ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-d decision. Vote even if you can't tie your own shoes, mop up your own drool, or remember your own name. Voting is the be-all and end-all. The alpha and the omega. Voting in and of itself is important, though you likely couldn't point out the candidates if you were in a locked room, alone, with them. Vote for the sheer joy of yanking a lever or thumbing a button. And with a spring in your step and a gleam in your eye, exit the booth and stride proudly from the polls, knowing that you did your part in electing the next in a long line of political prostitutes, selling themselves to the populace for a vote. Ah, the elation!"

***

As I've stated before, I still believe Bush will win--love him, or hate him. I say this with no preconceived bias at heart. I voted for Michael Peroutka, of the Constitution Party.

***

I suspect the mainstream media will be talking about what a tight race it is until Bush's next inauguration.

***

I'm having problems with my blog, which I have brought to Blogger's attention. Thus most of you probably won't even read these words until after the election, anyway. Oh, well, it gives you something to do during the commercials on "Wheel of Torture."

No comments: