Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Update on Arizona Eligibility Veto

This confirms my suspicions:


Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is admitting it's possible her veto of the state's eligibility bill for office-seekers could be overturned by members of the Legislature.

"Bottom line is that I just have to call 'em as I see 'em, and it doesn't help Arizona," she added. "This bill is a distraction and we just simply need to get on with the state's business."



I couldn't tell you the number of times that I've heard politicians on both sides of the aisle, media robots, and political celebrities like Sarah Palin make comments virtually identical to Brewer's. As I said: typical.

A constituent wrote a letter to Arizona lawmakers, raising a great point:


"The governor says 'one person' should not have power over the ballot – well, she has just single-handedly vetoed a 2/3 vote of the Legislature and the will of those of us who voted you into office. I don't understand how she can veto a veto-proof vote!

"I urgently urge all of you to please override this veto immediately and put HB2177 into law. This is simply a common-sense law which is long overdue and should have always been on the books. This should not even be a partisan issue, let alone a 'controversial' bill. What is the point of having requirements for various offices, if candidates do not have to prove they meet those requirements? To not pass this law is to make a mockery of the Constitution and law itself."

No comments: