Saturday, June 2, 2007

Rove-ing Toward Gomorrah

Published reports indicate that Karl Rove is an atheist or agnostic--certainly not a Christian, by any stretch of the word. I've seen no refutation of this assertion from Rove or the White House, so I assume it's true.

Taking this as an accurate characterization, I find myself asking the question: If George W. Bush is a devout Christian--as he has portrayed himself--why in the world would he choose a nonbeliever as his chief advisor? Does this decision make any sense to my readers? Was there no better candidate available in the United States of America?

I think this calls into question just how seriously Bush takes Christianity, and makes dubious his claim of being a follower of Jesus. As a Christian, it is inconceivable to me that I would appoint as my special advisor one who disagrees with me on so fundamental an issue as God's existence.

If you're a Christian, would you entrust yourself to the advice of an atheist or agnostic in making decisions that affect the lives of millions?

No comments: