Saturday, October 21, 2006

A Special Request for Prayer

My father began having dizzy spells and extreme sensitivity to light, this afternoon. It grew worse, and a trip to the emergency room became necessary. The staff did an x-ray and determined that he was bleeding in his brain. Even with morphine, he had a terrible headache, accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and the left corner of his mouth turning downward.

He was rushed into the operating theater, in hopes of draining the excess blood, removing the clot and stopping the bleeding, and relieving the pressure in his head.

The surgery went smoothly, with no further complications along the way. The surgeon--who acted put-out that he was forced to interact with us mere mortals--said they successfully stopped the bleeding and removed the clot; but only time will tell if he'll recover completely, recover with some motor skills damage, or not recover at all.

This struck myself and my family like the proverbial ton of bricks, catching us flatfooted. There were no warning signs to speak of; he seemed healthy and robust.

I thank the good Lord that I had the chance to talk to him and tell him that I love him and was there for him just minutes before the operation. Regardless the ultimate outcome, that time was precious to me.

I humbly ask that each of my blog friends remember him in their prayers over the next week or two. This is the most critical time for him, and I can't emphasize just how serious his condition is. Let me thank you up front for your kindness and concern. I believe Jesus hears our prayers, and that He answers them, so this effort on your part means more to me than words can say. The one upside to this situation is that my dad is saved by the blood of the Lamb. So for him, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Praise God for that!

Hold your children close and kiss them. Tell your family and friends that you love them. Don't wait until another time. Treat each day as if it were your last, for no one knows what tomorrow brings.


Update

As of Sunday night, he's doing as well as a person in his condition can do. His blood pressure is stabilized, and the doctors gradually are decreasing his intake of blood pressure medication. No complications, so far.

One of the nurses told me that one-third of people with this problem die before they reach the hospital. Another third make it to the hospital, but die shortly thereafter--either before or during surgery. The remaining third survives with either major, minor, or zero side effects. So he's already beaten the odds, folks. He has well over a hundred people praying for him, and our Father is listening.

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. I ask that you continue. It's not a waste of time. I thank God that He listens to His children, and has mercy on them.

Bless you all.

No comments: