Friday, December 9, 2005

Rest in Peace, Granddad

At 11:00 PM EST, December 8, my grandfather went home to be with the Lord. He was just over eighty years old.

He'd endured a rare form of bone cancer over the past two-and-a-half to three years, going through ups and downs in his health and spirits during that time.

When the end came, it was in his own home, surrounded by family. He slipped into unconsciousness and became unresponsive, his breathing shallow. Shortly thereafter, he passed away peacefully and without suffering.

He was a wonderful man--perhaps the best man I've ever known. He would give the shirt off his back to help a person in need. He was self-made, too, with no formal education beyond the eighth grade; yet through hard, unrelenting work and perseverance, he achieved financial success and retired from his job at ALCOA Aluminum Company, debt-free and with a good pension.

But even more importantly, he was a success as a human being. Friends and acquaintances respected him. His family admired and loved him. He raised four children who grew into fine adults.

He saw heavy combat action in the Army in World War II, in the European theater. He witnessed the deaths of many friends in those days, and even in his later years, had difficulty speaking about those times. He went on to serve in the Air Force during the Korean War.

And he loved Jesus. He provided a fine Christian example to all who knew him, and served as a deacon in his local church for about twenty years. He was never ashamed of that name above names.

I know now that he rests in the bosom of our Savior, and theirein is no suffering or sorrow any more. He is far, far better off than you or I, and that is the one consolation I've gained from his passing. He is in the presence of the Father, and one day, I'll see him again.

It's difficult for me to write these words, but I wanted to share with my readers a brief glimpse of this extraordinary man's life, to honor him with these few feeble sentences strung together with memories. I also wanted to share that blessed assurance we each have in Christ. He does not discriminate against those who search him out earnestly. Seek, and you shall find Him. Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Now my grandmother must pick up the pieces of her life and figure out how to cope with losing her husband of fifty-three years. She, too, has Christ in her heart. I'm sure He'll carry her through her grief. I don't often make prayer requests, but I humbly ask that those who are willing, pray for her strengthening and recovery from this awful loss. And remember the family in your prayers. I would appreciate that more than words can say.

Sometimes death is seen coming, far down the road, giving us time for preparations. Others, it swoops in upon us suddenly, without notice. Yesterday in the early evening, there was no indication that this was my grandfather's final day on earth. And yet he is gone from us, now.

Hold your children and grandchildren and siblings and spouses and parents close. If you haven't said "I love you" lately, say it now. There may not be a chance tomorrow.

I love you Granddad. I'm glad you're home. The rest of us will be on in a little while.

No comments: