Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Textbook Snafu

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh's show earlier today, as I occasionally do. I switched on just in time to hear him reading verbatim from the emergency management plans of the state of Louisiana and the city of New Orleans. What struck me as I listened was not that the state and city had no specific plans for a disaster of this magnitude; rather, it was the lack of implementation of those plans. As he read, it became quite clear that the local and state governments considered themselves next in the line of responsibility for the citizenry's welfare--just after the individual citizens, themselves. Strategies for the transportation of those unable to help themselves via city buses were in place. I can't remember all of the specifics, but failure came not from lack of preparation. It came from a lack of will to carry out measures already in place. What a shame and tragedy. Many dead people lie in silent testimony to city, county, and state government inefficiency.

No comments: