Friday, September 2, 2005

A Maelstrom of Thoughts

On the Gulf coast, I have compassion and sorrow for the plight of the indigent, the mentally incompetent, the physically disabled, and infants--many of whom had no means of escaping the storm's onslaught. May God watch over, heal, and protect you all.

***

I find that I have less sympathy for those too stupid, too arrogant, or too reliant upon government aid to take appropriate actions for protecting themselves and their families.

***

Does expecting and demanding aid from others for your predicament make sense, when you had the ability and the time to arm yourself against the storm, yet did nothing?

***

If newscasters announced that a storm was headed my way--three days in advance--and suggested that the aftermath would be a "nightmare scenario" (as Brian Wilson on Fox News claimed), I would leave the area temporarily. If I had to pitch a tent by the roadside, I would do so. Whatever it takes to protect one's family, one does.

***

Shooting at helicopters and other rescue vehicles probably is not a prudent choice, if one seeks rescue.

***

It is neither the president's constitutional duty--nor his right--to send $10 billion of taxpayer money as a safety-net for those who gave no thought to their own safety, and made no provision for it--whether disaster strikes New Awleuhns, or New Delhi.

***

Seeing the president--along with Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush-- at a press conference made me want to stand up, pull out my lighter, and chant: "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony."

***

Caring about someone's dire situation, and acting in ways that produce positive effects are not synonymous. Good intentions do not equal good results. Remember the recent tsunami?

***

Earth goddess worshipers: The U. S. is not the only country in the world that uses oil. Did we forget about the one billion-plus people who live in China? Ergo, the U.S. is not evil incarnate. I know the truth hurts when swallowed, but you'll get over it. I promise.

***

If you have a dark complexion, and you feel the need to pillage jewelry stores and banks, brandish guns at rescuers and innocent civilians, and rove about in gangs--understand that this is called living the stereotype.

***

"The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse."-- James Madison (speech in the Virginia constitutional convention, 2 December 1829)

Remember this, the next time you see police joining looters or a government official on tv demanding wads of cash for the Gulf.

***

I strongly support Christian charity. Giving to those in need has a long history in this country, and in Western civilization. But charity cannot be forced. Where there is compulsion, there is no charity.

***

I'll pray for the people of Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi. I hope you will, too.

No comments: