Sunday, May 15, 2005

Kingdom of Revisionists

Three good links for anyone interested in learning about the new film, Kingdom of Heaven, directed by Ridley Scott:

The Real History of the Crusades

Hollywood Version

Onward, Lukewarm Christian Soldiers

The first is an article by Thomas Madden, a non-PC expert on the Crusades. The second is an article by John Podhoretz, and the third is an interview with Madden, and his take on the movie. All three are interesting and educational--but if you read only one, peruse the first.

For the record, I haven't seen the movie, but I consider Madden a very reliable source on the matter. This saddens me to no end, too, for I have great admiration for Ridley Scott, as a director. He helmed The Duellists, Alien, Black Hawk Down, and Gladiator--all wonderful films. I knew he had it in him to do a politically correct piece of trash, though. He directed Thelma and Louise, after all. It's the only movie directed by him that I've seen and loathed. I so looked forward to Kingdom of Heaven. I love history, and the specific subject matter of the Crusades is one I find fascinating.

On the bright side, Bane gave the movie a positive review, so perhaps it isn't all bad. In fact, I'm sure it was well-made, as I expect nothing less from Scott. The most troubling aspect is the apparent intention of making a film propagating the need for tolerance in the modern world, without portraying the people or the times as they really were.

No comments: