Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Deus Le Volt!

As everyone probably knows, by now, John Cardinal Ratzinger became the new pope, on Tuesday. Speaking to a herd of reporters just after his coronation, he told them: "I chose the name Benedict because I've always been a great fan of eggs benedict. Mmmmmm."

Nah, seriously, I'm glad a person close to the former pope took his place. I hope he's the kind of man John Paul II was, but that's a mighty big beanie to fill. May he not bow to the forces of evil running amok in our world. God bless him.

I was a little disappointed, I must admit. I relished the idea of a new warrior pope, perhaps like Pope Urban II, who preached the first crusade. There're a lot of infidels who need chasing out of our lands, and tons of jihadis in dire need of an arranged meeting with their maker.

Ah, well. What's that old Rolling Bones song say?:

You can't always get whatcha want. . .

No comments: