Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Defining Origins Beliefs

Many of you are familiar with my views on this topic; but it dawned on me that I've never actually set down an unambiguous definition of what I believe, regarding the world's origins. So for newer visitors, or for those who think I've been muddled in explaining myself, in the past, here's the simple version:

I consider myself a creationist. One humorous note: I've used this term over at Vox's, before, only to have people distance themselves by saying: "Well, I'm not a creationist," then proceeding to describe their beliefs as almost a mirror-image of my own. This brings me no end of amusement, and a little frustration. Why fear the term? I don't. I think it accurately describes me.

1. I belief in God Almighty. He is real, not a figment of my imagination, or a "crutch" for the weak-minded.

2. I believe He created the universe and everything in it--including humans. Nothing exists without his efforts. He sustains everything.

3. I believe the biblical account of creation is inerrant. Literally. So yes, I accept that there really was a serpent--which was Satan--in the Garden of Eden. I believe that God spoke the creation into existence. I do not think the Genesis story is a fairy-tale, or a metaphorical account.

Those are the three big ones. Elucidating further, I reject the Theory of Evolution as described by secular scientists. In fact, I believe this pseudo-science is one of the worst evils ever foisted upon humanity. Embracing this atheistic religion often leads to a devil-may-care attitude about one's life--or the lives of others. It even foreshadows mass murder and racism.

I think acceptance of Genesis as literally true is crucial. If one fails to do so, isn't this opening a doorway into questioning the veracity or accuracy of the rest of the Bible? And if not, why not?
Or in other words, if the book is open to interpretation, how can we agree on its meaning?

So that's where I stand, in a nutshell--and I think it's a pretty darned firm foundation.

Where do you stand?

No comments: