Friday, January 14, 2005

No Apologies Necessary

President Bush is backpedaling about some early comments on the war effort. His recent comments touched upon several areas, but the one I want to focus upon is the area of Osama bin Laden.

In the week after the Sept. 11 attacks, Bush was asked if he wanted bin Laden, the terrorist leader blamed for the attacks, dead.

"I want justice," Bush said. "And there's an old poster out West, that I recall, that said, 'Wanted, Dead or Alive."'

Recalling that remark, Bush told the reporters: "I can remember getting back to the White House, and Laura said, 'Why did you do that for?' I said, 'Well, it was just an expression that came out. I didn't rehearse it.'

"I don't know if you'd call it a regret, but it certainly is a lesson that a president must be mindful of, that the words that you sometimes say. ... I speak plainly sometimes, but you've got to be mindful of the consequences of the words. So put that down. I don't know if you'd call that a confession, a regret, something."

Regarding bin Laden, I see no need for the president's apologies--unless he apologizes for not being harsh enough. Rather than saying "dead or alive," he should've stopped with "dead." If bin Laden has not justly and earnestly earned death, then no man has.

You were right the first time, Mr. President. You worry too much about the consequences of your words. You concern yourself with the perceptions of people who already hate you, and will continue hating you, no matter what words you utter, no matter what actions you take. So stand on principle; and if your popularity decreases, if the ad hominem attacks increase, at least you'll know that you unapologetically said the right thing. Now, sir, go to it, and give bin Laden the fake martyrdom to which he aspires.

No comments: