Friday, November 12, 2004

Gone to His Reward

It seems Yasser Arafat is no longer among the living. I find no pleasure in the death of any human being, but clearly, some people deserve to die. And if anyone ever deserved death, Arafat did. His is a legacy of brutality, hatred, murder, and lies, culminating in the corruption of an entire subgroup of people within Israel. If human governments had a genuine interest in justice, he would have been dead long ago. His entire life's work was based on falsehood and viciousness, in destroying any hint of peaceful coexistence and reveling in chaos. Like Castro, it seemed that he would live forever. Brings to mind the old saying: "Only the good die young." Of course, entropy finally caught up with him, as it does with us all. And yet it bears mentioning that a man who thrived on violence died not by gun, knife, or bomb, but from frailty, age, and sickness.

It troubles me when I ponder the probable destination of his eternal soul, since I wish damnation on no one. But I think it would be dishonest of me not to admit that the world is, indeed, a better place, now that he is no longer in it.

No comments: