Thursday, November 18, 2004

Born-Again "Dupes"

Here's a letter to the editor of World Net Daily, from Nov. 13. Problems abound:

Joseph Farah: If morality can only be dictated by true Christians (Republicans, fascists, neo-cons and born-again dupes) why do the "red" states have the highest rates of teen pregnancy, abortion, prostitution, drug use (methamphetamine epidemic), along with a disproportionate number of satanic cults and gun-related crime per SMSA [Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas] data in the country? I think you need to clean your own house before lashing out against others.

Born-again "dupes?" Hm, I wonder if he's ever cracked the Good Book and taken a glance. And, of course, I find his assertion about the red states highly dubious.

As a Roman Catholic, I have no need to be "born again." I have never been without Jesus Christ. From birth to today He has blessed me with a love so unimaginable, yet His greatest gifts granted me have been sympathy, understanding, tolerance and grace. I pray for people like you. You just don't seem to get it. When you die and face the Lord Christ, the only question He will ask you is "I have no care of what you have done for yourself. Tell me, what have you done for another?"

Patrick

He has no need to be born again? Hm. Tell that to Jesus. The Lord certainly contradicted this proclamation with his own words: There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. (John 3:1-3.)

Don't get me wrong, here. Some of what St. Patrick said is true. Obviously, God is concerned about what we have done for others--the poor, orphans, widows, the unsaved, etc. But His primary concern is: "Have you accepted me as your Lord and Savior?" If not, all the good works in the world will not give you entrance into Heaven.

No comments: