Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The Devolution of Thought

Evolution is unproven and unprovable. We believe it because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable.

That is a direct quote from Sir Arthur Keith, a leading evolutionist of the 20th Century. Sadly, it's also an admission of a deficiency in critical thinking skills. His acceptance of evolution is not arrived at through facts, but from a refusal to acknowledge the possibility of its alternative. What if I said: "I am a Christian--not because the facts of history or my senses lead me to the conclusion of God's existence, but because the possibility of descent from apelike ancestors terrifies me." Most people would call me superstitious, foolish, or a plethora of worse names. No one would ever accuse me of being "rational," or "scientific." In fact, arriving at conclusions in such a way is the antithesis of science and reason.

No comments: